clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Tonight's Jupiter with Equipment Problems

Took the scope out for a session, and it does appear the alignment is off. I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong, something silly with the secondary mirror. It did not appear centered in the collimation eyepiece. After centering the mirror and adjusting it, the images have a nasty coma. I'm going to set it back to approximately where it was before I adjusted it and realign as best I can, as the scope appears to show better images the way it was. Anyway, one good thing came out of testing tonight, the Ponset platform appears to be working better. I re-geared the drive worm, and it appears to run smoother, and has very little periodic error now with the bigger gear on the worm screw. I ended up taking the refractor out and photographed with that. Because of all the color it shows, I ended up discarding all of the color information and made the final image monochrome. The image I ended up with wasnt too awfully bad, there is some reasonable detail here. This is probably one of the better images with the refractor. I took this image using the old 2X barlow - the same one I use on the newtonian. Being the focal length is only half, the image was quite small, so I resized it in Registax and ended up with this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment