clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mars

Well, we had a break in the clouds, but I knew it wouldnt last long.  I've been wanting to try the new scope out on a planetary object.  Lemme see, I had a choice of Mars, Jupiter or the moon.  Being I only photographed Mars once before, and it didnt really come out too good, I thought I'd go ahead and try to get Mars thru the new scope.

I ran across a problem in Registax.  I took 2 AVI's, one was about 3000 frames, the other 2000 frames.  The 3000 frame one would not load, no matter what I did.  I ran it through VirtualDub, and I even tried opening it in Registax 5, but no joy.  Therefore, the only image I'll post is of the 2000 frame stack.

This is the full frame.  I believe northeast is up.  North polar cap is there.  Some dark markings, but I'm no mars expert.  This is the first time I have even SEEN mars thru a telescope that I can remember.

I used the C6-NGT to take this image, 750mm with a 3X barlow into the Quickcam Pro 4000 webcam.  Seeing wasn't too good, it appeared to be bouncing around a fair amount on the screen.  Transparency wasn't too bad while the frame was shot.

Here is a resized image using the same AVI

I was actually somewhat surprised that I was able to get this much detail on this object, considering it is only in the neighborhood of 14 arc seconds across.

0 comments:

Post a Comment