clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Friday, March 15, 2013

First Lght, Orion 8 f/5 Optical Tube

The scope arrived today, so did a quick collimation and put it on the CG5.  Didnt install the guider, so I thought I'd try some planetary stuff.  The first image I took was of the moon which came out pretty badly, being it was a thin crescent, and I attempted a closeup. 

After the moon, I hit up Jupiter, which was not too good either, but was better than the moon.  The first image is here....


Kinda blurred, but I did notice I could expand the planet to about double the image size that I could do with the 6 inch.  The detail is similar to what I got with the 6".  I took the image out of focus, and saw that the secondary reflection was not centered in the blur, so I did a quick touchup of the primary collimation.  Also, I installed the UV/IR filter on the webcam.

Then I shot this image:
Much better.  Seeing was  average.  Not real good.  Also, I'm not sure if the secondary mirror was aligned properly either.  I believe I can do better once the seeing improves and I get the scope working 100%.

2 comments:

Sypai said...

Very interesting, i think i need to purchase UV/IR filter too. It's give a nice results

Mike H - KD0AR said...

I use a real low cost one. It does prevent blurring, but I do notice it cuts down slightly on the amount of light reaching the sensor, unless that additional light is in fact infrared. It does appear to sharpen the images when I use it.

Post a Comment