clear sky chart

Job 9:9

Job 9:9-10
9 He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
10 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.
NIV

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cherry Springs Star Party 2013

I attended the Cherry Springs Star Party 6/6 - 6/9/13.  Actually arrived Tuesday night, 2 days before the start of the star party.  Tuesday had the best skies of all of the evenings I was there.  Wednesday night, clouds rolled in, and it rained all the way thru Friday.  Saturday night the sky was clear again, but the humidity caused a very heavy dew to form.

While I was there, I bought my first real CCD, an Orion Starshoot G3.  I actually wanted a small chip for smaller objects.  Although I tried it out Saturday night, and was cut short due to the extreme moisture, I was able to shoot the Ring Nebula thru a red filter.  I only shot 5 frames, and I was shocked as to how quiet the image was.  Although the image is monochrome, the detail was quite good.


All images were shot with the Orion 8", f/5.  This image of M57 were shot with the Starshoot G3 thru a red filter.  Exposure length was 180 seconds.  This was shot on Saturday night, 6/9/13.

The Tuesday night images were all shot with the unmodified T3, as I left the power supply at home for the 300D.

M101, an object that I have problems with at home due to the light pollution, came out much better when I was able to use 5 minute, iso-1600 frames.

Messier 4.  The following star clusters are too low in the southern sky for me to image at home, so I took advantage of the dark sky and low horizon to capture a few of the Messier clusters in Scorpius and Sagittarius.  This is 6 - 60 sec exposures at iso 1600.

After capturing M4, I went over to M6.  This is only a stack of half a dozen 1 minute exposures.

 M7 is right near M6, so I thought I'd get it next.  4 - 60 sec frames, iso-1600.

Lastly, I shot M22.  This consists of a dozen 1 minute frames, also at iso-1600.



0 comments:

Post a Comment